Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Instructor course

Returned from Linz (upper Austria's capitol city) on saturday. I spent six days there to go through the first part of my fitness instructor course.

I have to say, I was pretty surprised - on the positive side, that is. You see, the course is organized, held and paid for (most of it, at least) by the Austrian ministry of education. Although that's great when it comes to the certificates appreciation, I wasn't sure if it wasn't all old-school and slowed down by bureaucracy. Now I can say it isn't.

Basically we had about 4-5 hours of training a day as well as 5-6 hours of theory lessons.

On the training side, we did lots of functional training, sensomotoric drills, posture correction and the like - there was almost no bodybuilding-style isolation training or the like. I say almost, as those things naturally are a part of a fitness instructors course. They were limited to a minimum, though.

The teaching staff was great, there were sports scientists, a doctor, active trainers, ... it was all very high level.

I was especially impressed by Dariusz Thomaszewski, a fitness trainer of polish origin. This guy can do stuff most people don't even think of (e.g. snatching a loaded barbell with one hand and performing a turkish-get-down). Dariusz runs a fitness studio in Vienna's 2nd district, Get-Up Fitness (http://get-up.at/).

There's two more weeks to spend in Linz before I'll take my exam in december.

On a different note, today was the last regular training before summer at my dojo. During the summer months (july, august) I'll be training outdoors with my people. There's definately going to be pictures posted here - so look out.

So long,

take care

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Happy new year

I wish you all a happy new year. Photo by camera slayer, found on flickr.org For me, the year won't start particularily good, I guess. On january 7th, the doc will put my foot into plaster again. This time, it's 4 weeks. After that, we shall see further. Now on the one hand, this is significantly screwed up. Gone are my plans of doing a max strength program to begin the year. Also, as a professional trainer, not being mobile at the beginning of the year means a serious handicap to my marketing actions. Novembet through February are, after all, the best months for any sports school, finance-wise. Also, I need to make up for all the losses my second studio has produced over the last year anyways. Instead of recovering financially, I'll now have to pay an instructor to teach my classes. Great. Not to mention all my plans of offering more classes at my Dojo. They're most definately put on a halt at the moment. As you can see, from a business point of view, my situation is s

Kettlebell Training For Aerobic Endurance Gains

Introduction Endurance is a broad term. Different types of endurance (short -, medium - and long term) are fueled by different energy systems. The first one or two maximum muscle contractions are powered by the phosphates in the muscle cell. After that, short bursts of up to 12 seconds draw their energy from the creatine- phosphate reserves. These two modes of energy production are known as anaerobic (lacking oxygen) alactic (without significant production of lactic acid). Longer efforts, up to roughly 3 minutes, primarily make use of the anaerobic lactic system, also called anaerobic glykolysis, i.e., the utilization of sugar in the absence of sufficient oxygen. Finally, even longer work is primarily fueled by the aerobic system. Here, oxygen is available in sufficient amounts such that sugars and fats can be oxidized in the Krebs cycle. It is this system that will be in the scope of this article. The aerobic system is, amongst other things, relevant for recovery after training se

Thoughts on Combat Training: Smarter Sparring Part I

Disclaimer: This is the first part of a new installment on sparring. In this first post I'll outline the general idea and make an introduction. More specialized and practical posts will follow. Everything comes at a cost. This can be an increased risk of injury, unfavorable anatomical adaptation, or simply a missed opportunity of doing something more sensible. As a martial arts trainer, it is my job to make each of my  rip to the Dojo my fighter's trips to the Dojo worthwhile. Biggest bang for buck, so to say. I'm a teacher, after all, not an entertainer. Therfore, before jumping ship on anything I do in my classes, I ask myself the following : "What is the purpose of [insert activity]? What is the cost of that? Is it worth it? Is there a way of achieving the same result at a lower cost" In general, that last question boils down to finding something that is more time efficient or comes at a reduced risk of injury. What is the purpose of sparring? W