Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Way to the TKDI EC 2012, Part XV

Saturday
Saturday, I sparred for a last time before the [EC 2012]. Can't say I'm particularly pleased by how things went (from a fighter's point of view - never been more proud of my students). Felt slow, turned away when being punched in the face (something of a beginner's mistake), had my hands down... all in all, I lacked the drive and motivation to actually give everything and push the pace. Ain't going to be so on sunday, though, you can be sure of that. Anyhow, here's the video footage of saturday's sparring session - Enjoy!



Yesterday
Yesterday, I was really stuck at home - tons of work for my academic program. According to schedule, I should have run my 400m dashes right in the morning, after waking up. However, my left knee was still swollen from a kick I took on saturday, so I skipped the session. Hence, I have one more running session left on wednesday. This is going to be hell, as I'm beginning to cut weight as of today...

Today
Which brings us to today's session. As this week is just a taper, I took it relatively easy. Basically, I did was I had planned [the last time] I worked out at [our headquarters]. Pretty simple workout, aimed at sport-specific conditioning: set the timer to 2-minute rounds with 1 minute in between rounds and do

  • 5 rounds of shadow sparring
  • 5 rounds of heavy bag work
  • 5 rounds of rope skipping

This - performed regularly - gets [CV] all the way up, especially if done at a higher pace. Speaking of pace, this workout also is highly scalable. For more focus on proper technique execution, just go slower, for more conditioning, pump up the pace.... duh. Sometimes, life can actually be simple. Anyhow, for me, gradually building up intensity through the use of a progressive set of techniques works best. To keep the workout time efficient, I used the shaow sparring as a warmup and stretched in between rounds. So, what I did was:

  1. Movement only
  2. Boxing combinations
  3. Punch/Kick/Punch combinations
  4. Kick/Punch/Kick combinations
  5. Freestyle shadow sparring

Being properly warmed up, I pretty much applied the same idea to the heavy bag work:

  1. Punch/Kick/Punch combinations
  2. Kick/Punch/Kick combinations
  3. Punch/Kick/Punch/Kick combinations
  4. Kick/Punch/Kick/Punch combinations
  5. Freestyle bag work

When I use the term "freestyle", I'm not implying that I'm doing particularly fancy or flashy stuff here (although that happens). What I mean is that here, I'm putting together all the pieces of the puzzle. It's all about simulating real fight situations as accurately as possible and combine all the concepts that were practiced seperately in the previous rounds.

Finally, for good measure, 5 rounds of rope skipping at a moderate-to-high pace. Not much to say about rope skipping, except it's an awesome conditioning tool. When working out on the threadmill or stationary bike, you can allow your mind to wander. This is all the more true for jogging - just run at a slow pace, reflect on what happened during the week so far, make plans for the next days... you simply can't do that while skipping rope. You'll just lose your rhytm, smash your toes with the rope or hurt yourself in some other way. Nothing serious, but painful enough to keep you focussed on the task at hand - which is rope skipping. That's what makes it so perfectly well suited for martial artists. Guess I could write a book on the topic of "Zen-Conditioning". It'd have one page, on which there is one line, written in plain upper case letters: "SKIP ROPE". That's about it... guess it wouldn't be a bestseller, though...

Anyways, here's the video of today's session:



Ran out of memory somewhere along the 14th or 15th round (I honestly didn't check), so part of the rope skipping is not on the video. It's not like watching me skip rope for five rounds was worth your time, anyways.


The Time Before The Fight
So as of today, I'm starting to cut weight. That means living on around 1000kcal a day, with carbs being extremely restricted. Therefore, [Dominik], who's head of the S&C at our headquarters (and a true expert in his field), told me running another 400m dash would probably leave me completely wasted for the fight. After discussing this matter with [Ronny], we agreed on skipping the last scheduled intervall session (which was due on wednesday), and meet for some padwork instead. The session is scheduled at 08:30, which is harsh for me, but then again it's about time to alter my bio-rhytm so that I can perform in the morning if the need arises.

Tomorrow, it'll be shadow sparring, padwork and rope skipping, so not that much different from what I did today. Thursday, probably just some shadow sparring and light padwork, so as not to burn out with carb storages completed and all...

5 days left -stay tuned!

So long,

take care

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Happy new year

I wish you all a happy new year. Photo by camera slayer, found on flickr.org For me, the year won't start particularily good, I guess. On january 7th, the doc will put my foot into plaster again. This time, it's 4 weeks. After that, we shall see further. Now on the one hand, this is significantly screwed up. Gone are my plans of doing a max strength program to begin the year. Also, as a professional trainer, not being mobile at the beginning of the year means a serious handicap to my marketing actions. Novembet through February are, after all, the best months for any sports school, finance-wise. Also, I need to make up for all the losses my second studio has produced over the last year anyways. Instead of recovering financially, I'll now have to pay an instructor to teach my classes. Great. Not to mention all my plans of offering more classes at my Dojo. They're most definately put on a halt at the moment. As you can see, from a business point of view, my situation is s

Kettlebell Training For Aerobic Endurance Gains

Introduction Endurance is a broad term. Different types of endurance (short -, medium - and long term) are fueled by different energy systems. The first one or two maximum muscle contractions are powered by the phosphates in the muscle cell. After that, short bursts of up to 12 seconds draw their energy from the creatine- phosphate reserves. These two modes of energy production are known as anaerobic (lacking oxygen) alactic (without significant production of lactic acid). Longer efforts, up to roughly 3 minutes, primarily make use of the anaerobic lactic system, also called anaerobic glykolysis, i.e., the utilization of sugar in the absence of sufficient oxygen. Finally, even longer work is primarily fueled by the aerobic system. Here, oxygen is available in sufficient amounts such that sugars and fats can be oxidized in the Krebs cycle. It is this system that will be in the scope of this article. The aerobic system is, amongst other things, relevant for recovery after training se

Thoughts on S&C: Assess, don't guess - Athletics @ Shinergy[base] Vienna

  Disclaimer: This one's going to be a bit lengthy, so I tried to include as many videos as possible to keep things fresh.  Since December, 2014, I'm in charge of the athletics class we run at the Shinergy[base] here in Vienna. In a nutshell, the athletics class is pretty much a functional strength class for small groups. In contrast to other systems out there (which all have their benefits in their own sense), out athletics class follows a simple periodization and is preceded by an individual assessment of each athlete. Our assessment usually doesn't take as long as, say, a full [FMS] , but then again, we screen for the selection of exercises we're actually planning on employing in the current program. This means that, although it might be beneficial for general health or long-term improvement of a functional movement base, there is no pressing need to screen for overhead competency if the plan calls for a horizontal upper body push. We can ḱeep our initial screens