Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Event report: XX Open Polish Taekwondo Championships, March 16-17 2013, Czestochowa

Yesterday night we returned from this year’s [open polish taekwondo championships in Czestochowa]. As expected of a [PUT] event, it was superbly organized. Everything went down smoothly with the exception of some misunderstandings regarding weight divisions, but this was also quickly taken care of and handled professionally.


The schedule had weigh-in on Friday night, semi-contact sparring on Saturday and continuous sparring on Sunday. Now at most tournaments, you can never be sure when you’re going to fight – I had days where I spent 10+ hours at the venue before stepping into the ring. That’s not so much of a problem by itself, at least if you know it in advance. What’s troublesome is having absolutely no clue as to when you’re up, because that means warming up again and again so as to be ready to compete at every moment. Good luck going through a fight after having warmed up like ten times or so. This time, despite the fact that more than 550 competitors from four countries (Poland, Wales, Austria and Azerbaijan) took part in the event, the promoters actually managed to roughly stick to the schedule. I knew that my division (-72kg) was on mat number 3 after the –66kg guys had finished. When the lightweight guys went at it, I went through the [Warrior Warmup Routine] to loosen up and stretch. In order not to burn out, I postponed intensive cardio warm-up up until my division was started. Since there were four fights scheduled before I’d step on the mat, I knew I had plenty of time. So, I worked the pads for a while to get into the right groove. From my point of view, this was probably the best warm-up I ever did at a tournament: intense enough to prep me for the fight yet easy enough so as not to tire me out. Of course, handling things this way was made possible be the great organization.


Just as in the [Open European Taekwondo Championships] last year, our team was made up of Chris, Frank and me. While Chris and Frank competed in semi-contact sparring, I did continuous sparring. Besides representing Austria as a competitor, I also served as team leader. The [PUT] guys really do a great hob to make foreigners feel at home at their tournaments – they awarded every foreign team with a special honorary medal.


In terms of results, we did good, as usual: Both Frank and I scored a silver medal in our respective categories. Frank won two fights in the +185cm division, I fought my way through three bouts before losing to Waldemar Mielczarek in the finals. Overall, the level of competition was extremely high, the venue was crowded by National, European and World Champions. Obviously, I’ll be uploading the video material we shot over the course of the next days, along with a short analysis on each fight.


To sum things up: our performance was good, the event was great – but most of all, the whole trip was unforgettable!



Stay tuned for some visuals,
so long,

take care

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Happy new year

I wish you all a happy new year. Photo by camera slayer, found on flickr.org For me, the year won't start particularily good, I guess. On january 7th, the doc will put my foot into plaster again. This time, it's 4 weeks. After that, we shall see further. Now on the one hand, this is significantly screwed up. Gone are my plans of doing a max strength program to begin the year. Also, as a professional trainer, not being mobile at the beginning of the year means a serious handicap to my marketing actions. Novembet through February are, after all, the best months for any sports school, finance-wise. Also, I need to make up for all the losses my second studio has produced over the last year anyways. Instead of recovering financially, I'll now have to pay an instructor to teach my classes. Great. Not to mention all my plans of offering more classes at my Dojo. They're most definately put on a halt at the moment. As you can see, from a business point of view, my situation is s

Kettlebell Training For Aerobic Endurance Gains

Introduction Endurance is a broad term. Different types of endurance (short -, medium - and long term) are fueled by different energy systems. The first one or two maximum muscle contractions are powered by the phosphates in the muscle cell. After that, short bursts of up to 12 seconds draw their energy from the creatine- phosphate reserves. These two modes of energy production are known as anaerobic (lacking oxygen) alactic (without significant production of lactic acid). Longer efforts, up to roughly 3 minutes, primarily make use of the anaerobic lactic system, also called anaerobic glykolysis, i.e., the utilization of sugar in the absence of sufficient oxygen. Finally, even longer work is primarily fueled by the aerobic system. Here, oxygen is available in sufficient amounts such that sugars and fats can be oxidized in the Krebs cycle. It is this system that will be in the scope of this article. The aerobic system is, amongst other things, relevant for recovery after training se

Thoughts on S&C: Assess, don't guess - Athletics @ Shinergy[base] Vienna

  Disclaimer: This one's going to be a bit lengthy, so I tried to include as many videos as possible to keep things fresh.  Since December, 2014, I'm in charge of the athletics class we run at the Shinergy[base] here in Vienna. In a nutshell, the athletics class is pretty much a functional strength class for small groups. In contrast to other systems out there (which all have their benefits in their own sense), out athletics class follows a simple periodization and is preceded by an individual assessment of each athlete. Our assessment usually doesn't take as long as, say, a full [FMS] , but then again, we screen for the selection of exercises we're actually planning on employing in the current program. This means that, although it might be beneficial for general health or long-term improvement of a functional movement base, there is no pressing need to screen for overhead competency if the plan calls for a horizontal upper body push. We can ḱeep our initial screens